At least once in our life, each one of us has had blackheads and acne and home remedies for blackheads are more often than not ignored. Medically speaking, blackheads or open comedones are nothing but congregations of dirt, cell debris and sebum that are blocking the hair follicle. When these become infected with bacteria that are present on the skin they become pustular and are called Acne Vulgaris. As the name suggests, blackheads are dark brown to black in color. They are commonly seen in young adults on forehead, cheeks, nose, chin, upper chest, upper back and arms.
Below are top 20 simple yet effective home remedies and natural methods to reduce and get rid of blackheads to reveal bright new skin:
1. Firstly, do not touch your face much during the day. The environmental dirt and pollution are the biggest cause of blackheads after oily skin. So do not add to the grime that’s already there on the face by touching it. After all prevention is the first step towards cure.
2. A paste of 1 teaspoon of coriander juice and half a teaspoon of turmeric powder must be used daily morning all over the affected areas. Rinse it off after 15-20 minutes.
3. Fuller’s earth or red sandalwood powder mixed with milk or water can be used successfully for removing the acne and blackheads.
4. A paste of 1 teaspoon each of cinnamon powder and/or turmeric powder and lime juice should be applied daily for at least 15 days to effectively treat blackheads. The paste should be allowed to dry and then washed off with plain water after it dries off completely.
5. Add 5ml rosewater to adequate oatmeal/almond powder to form a paste. This scrub should be gently massaged over the face for 5-10 minutes. Allow it to dry for 15 minutes and then rinse it. Follow this for a week minimum to see the difference in the blackheads, skin texture and complexion.
6. Similarly warm honey mixed with sugar acts as an effective scrub for the face allowing the acne to heal naturally.
7. Finely powdered radish seeds mixed in some water to form a scrub can be used on the affected areas with dramatic effects on the blackhead levels.
8. Lemon juice along with 2 tablespoons of honey is one of the time-tested remedies for blackheads. Lime juice along with groundnut oil is also an old remedy for blackheads.
9. Drumstick leaves, pods and seeds should be grounded to form a powder. Mix this with water to form a paste. Scrub the affected area with this paste and rinse it off after complete drying.
10. A pack of a freshly mashed tomato over the affected are has a profound cooling effect on the skin and helps remove blackheads most easily. Mashed grape pulp applied and left over the affected area for 15 minutes is known to help reduce blackheads and acne.
11. Green tea face scrub can be used regularly to reduce blackheads. Tea tree oil and witch hazel can be used to effectively cure blackheads too
12. Add 2 teaspoons of soda- bicarbonate to 4 cups of boiled water. Soak a small towel in this and apply it on the face for 15-20 seconds. Repeat this over 5-6 times. Then follow by a paste of teaspoonful of rice flour and yogurt. Rinse off the paste after few minutes with cold water to close the opened pores.
13. Grated potatoes act as an effective Poultice over blemishes, acne and blackheads. A paste of mashed fenugreek leaves in water can be applied on the face too. Just leave it for 15 minutes and wash it off with warm water. Repeat this daily to reduce blackheads.
14. Roast and powder pomegranate skin. Mix this with 1 teaspoon of lime juice and apply over affected areas. Rinse it off after keeping for few minutes. Repeat daily for a month for visible effects.
15. Add 2 tablespoons of oatmeal to 3 tablespoons of yogurt. Add 1 teaspoon lime juice and olive oil each. After cleaning the affected area, smear the paste and leave on for 5-7 minutes. Rinse it off with cold water.
16. Apply toothpaste to a blackhead or acne top. Leave it for 15 minutes. This will dry it up completely. Then rinse it while gently scrubbing it. Repeat for a week for amazing results.
A word of caution- all these pastes, scrubs, etc must be applied on the affected area only after it has been cleaned with simple soap and water. Also, they must be rinsed off using ample water. Do not leave the pastes on for too long else they will dehydrate the skin of natural moisture. Always scrub the skin gently and never too hard.
Just use these simple fruits, vegetables available in your kitchen and convert them into your home remedies for blackheads free skin!
– Dr. Rachita Narsaria