It can be quite embarrassing to scratch your head in the middle of a meeting or the hot date that you have been waiting for so long. It is not only awkward but may even cause hair loss. With this feature on home remedies for itchy scalp, we hope to relieve you of the discomfort. We often think that buying the most expensive shampoo or conditioner will do the trick but unfortunately it doesn’t. Identifying the causes and implementing home remedies for itchy scalp will help you combat it.
Causes: Along with dryness of the scalp, negligence towards hair care is a main reason. The other causes of an itchy scalp include a poor diet, too much anxiety and stress and lice. Cleaning and washing of hair in an improper way along with dandruff and scalp acne and allergies as a result of usage of chemical based products like hair dyes are some of the other reasons.
1. Make a mixture of one part of Eucalyptus oil, lavender oil, German Chamomile natural oil with four parts of water and gently dab it on the areas affected.
2. Application of lemon juice on scalp is believed to be very effective in treatment of itchy scalp caused by dandruff. Mixing curd with lemon juice diluted in water is
also found to be very efficacious in cases where the dandruff is severe.
3. Massaging your scalp with a combination of cedar vinegar and warm water can be beneficial in curing itchy scalps.
4. Tea tree oil is found to have anti-bacterial properties. These help in curing scalp acne, rashes and pimples which subsequently help in reducing the itchiness.
5. Oil obtained from Neem plant is very good since it has fungicidal properties. Apply a mixture of Neem oil, rosemary oil and tea tree oil on the scalp on a regular basis.
6. Itchy scalp caused as a result of dryness can be effectively treated by massaging your scalp with a combination of pepper mint oil and water. The massage has to
be done gently and on a regular basis.
7. Prepare a mixture of olive oil, almond oil and coconut oil and warm it. Now apply this warm mixture on your scalp to get effective relief from itching caused by
dandruff. You can also apply a paste of baking soda powder and water on the scalp to treat itchy scalp.
8. Soak fenugreek seeds in water and make a paste in the morning. Add lemon juice to this paste and apply this paste on the scalp. Leave it on for an hour and then
9. Another good remedy for itchy scalp as a result of dryness is treating your scalp with a mixture of one avocado and two bananas. This mixture acts as a rich
conditioner and provides effective relief from dryness of scalp, thereby reducing the itch.
10. Diet plays a vital role in the condition of your hair. Intake of vitamin A (carrots, potatoes, eggs) etc. along with vitamin C (citrus fruits, kiwi etc.) and zinc (sea
food, nuts etc.) is very important.
Tips for Itchy Scalp:
Most of us tend to ignore the symptoms and allow them to pile on. The truth is that an itchy scalp can be an indication of even greater skin troubles which one may be turning a blind eye to. In many cases, an itchy scalp gets treated by following simple over the counter measures, however if the symptoms persist, it is always advisable to have a qualified doctor’s or trichologist’s (hair specialist) or dermatologist’s (skin specialist) opinion.
These simple home remedies for itchy scalp will be of immense help as they are effective and not very costly as compared to the chemical based products available in the market. Apart from being light on your pocket, they are easily available, easy to prepare and use. However, one must never forget that all the remedies mentioned will be effective if and only if they are used regularly.
– Dr. Rachita Narsaria